K I T C H A R I
HEALING ~ Begins in the gut
“When diet is wrong medicine is of no use. when diet is correct medicine is of no need.” Ayurvedic proverb
Ayurveda says that healing begins in the gut. Kitchari is easy to digest and gives your system a break. Especially during Autumn and winter nourish your body with warm soups, root vegetables from the earth, and Kitchari. In India- Kitchari, a warm dish made from brown rice, mung beans and spices- is considered to be a fasting food. Eating Kitchari 3 times a day for 3 days will create a mono-diet and detox the body by purifying the digestive tract and cleansing toxins from the body.
The combination of brown rice and mung dhal is a complete protein which nourishes and detoxes the body.
- Ghee (clarified butter available in indian section or health stores)- 2 tbsp
- 3 tbs. mustard seeds
- Small onion – 1 (chopped finely)
- 2tbs each of seeds or powder cumin, turmeric, coriander, fennel .
- sea salt, Himalayan or black salt – 1 tsp
- Yellow moong dal – 1 cup
- Brown Basmati rice – 1 cup
- 4 . cups water (if using a pressure cooker) or about 6 cups (if using a regular pot).
- Fresh Coriander & Lemon Juice (for garnish)
1. Soak dahl & rice for 12-2 hours. Wash & drain ready for use.
2. Heat ghee on medium heat, using either a pressure cooker or a heavy-bottomed pot.
3. Sauté the seeds in the ghee until the seeds pop.
4. Add onions & cook until golden.
5. Add powdered spices & salt & cook for 1 minute
6. Add dahl & rice & mix well.
7. Add water & cover. (If using a pressure cooker, fasten the lid on and turn the heat to high, let full pressure build up. Let pressure release twice. Turn off heat & let rest for 15 minutes. If using a regular pot, cover and bring it to a boil on high heat. Then turn the heat down and let it simmer until both the rice and dahl are mushy.
8. Topping with 1/4 fresh squeezed lemon, fresh coriander or Cilantro and Black salt
- For Vata & Kapha Dosha’s add Pepper & Ginger while cooking the onions
- For Pitta leave out the mustard seeds.
- If suffering from diarrhoea, use more rice & less dal.
- If suffering from constipation, use more dhal less rice.
- Best food for de-toxification
- Good for those suffering from weak digestion, gas, hyper-acidity & ulcers.
I recommend buying all ingredients from Earths Garden Organics at Islington.
If you have any questions please Don’t hesitate to ask.